You’re majoring in English? What on earth are you going to do with that?
September is nearing so the question is back. The thing is I never really get this question from my peers (peers not meaning English majors, peers meaning people my age, in school or not, for diplomas or degrees in a variety of things), I get this question from people my parents age. My coworkers, their coworkers, various relatives. Most of whom don’t have much if any post-secondary education, most of whom don’t read books or have any interest in learning anything new at all.
So what am I going to do with my English degree? I don’t know, I guess I’ll be a thoughtful person. I guess I’ll find something I love to do even if it doesn’t make me a boatload of money. I’ll read things and learn things and I won’t stop being a student when I leave school. I’ll talk to people about interesting things. I’ll put B.A. on my resume and know it’ll give me more opportunities than if it weren’t there. Oh and while we’re at it I’ll put a couple other things on my resume that I wouldn’t have had the opportunity to do if I hadn’t been getting this degree.. like my last 2 jobs. Maybe I’ll get hired at my summer job full-time, 30% of their new hires are English majors with a pretty high starting salary. But then I’m not really interested in that. So maybe I’ll do it for a while to pay off some student loans and maybe I won’t.
I didn’t get an English degree to make money. That would be the biggest bonehead move on the planet. I got an English degree because I wanted to study English. And you don’t have to see the value in that just because I do. But I’m not too worried about my financial future because I know that I am flexible, adaptable, and well-rounded person with a broad range of experiences, interests, and some modest talents. But if you’re really that concerned about my job prospects, I liked what englishmajormade said about these things recently here, and here.
- my-oodles-of-noodles likes this
- thecaffeinatedmind likes this
- somewherefarovertherainbow likes this
- arcadian-rhythms likes this
- peonyfeather reblogged this from englishmajorinrepair
- thedreamsofawriter likes this
- lindsers251 likes this
- dinosauratheart likes this
- old--fashioned likes this
- rightuptheroad reblogged this from englishmajorinrepair
- eternallyunresolved likes this
- exilethepoet likes this
- dillonbeard reblogged this from englishmajorinrepair
- dillonbeard likes this
- englishmajorinrepair reblogged this from meltakesthecake
- englishmajorinrepair likes this
- fifteenthousandusefulphrases likes this
- compassionandcupcakes likes this
- jottingitalldown likes this
- spray-can said:I feel the exact same way!!!
- spray-can likes this
- secondapplepie said:A customer at work once told me that I was going to be homeless in response to my telling him I was studying Fine Arts. HOMELESS. Who says that?
- secondapplepie likes this
- studsandblackleather said:Amen
- studsandblackleather likes this
- meltakesthecake posted this